Saturday, August 25, 2018

On turning 70 and looking for wisdom

A decade ago I published my Top 10 on turning 60. Most of the items on my list are truer now than ever. Septuagenarians are much less likely than sexagenarians to die young, for example.

Still, I'm finding it hard to come up with a new Top 10 list. I don't much care for the biblical description of this decade: "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away"(Psalm 90:10).

Some of my friends have already flown.

It's not that I want to relive my 60s. I'm glad to be done with the Great Recession, heart surgery (I hope), retiring, figuring out Social Security and Medicare, moving 750 miles from my home and friends of 33 years, saying goodbye to two sweet dogs, remodeling my new old house, and learning how not to get lost in a state none of whose roads are straight. Good things came out of that tumultuous decade, however: I like my new neighborhood, friends, and small dog, and I'm happy that many of my longtime friends have come to visit.

It would be nice to think that my 70s will be a more peaceful decade than my 60s, but I hear that's highly unlikely. Another recession, most economists say, is just around the corner. Good health may or may not last the decade. Social Security and Medicare are under attack. The house needs a new roof. We'll probably want to move again before 2028. Still, new friendships are likely to increase and deepen, and my new dog, who just turned two, will probably last awhile.

The psalmist advises numbering our days, "that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom" (Psalm 90:12). The Social Security Life Expectancy Calculator numbers my remaining days at 17.4 years, though retirement planners advise making savings last to age 100 or 105, just in case. So what wisdom should I apply to the next 15, 25, 35 years? I'd love to hear your ideas, especially if you've lived even longer than I have.

About leaving comments: Some friends have told me they can't get this site to accept their comments. Others have  no problem. I don't know what the difference is, but Blogger sites sometimes do strange things. Please be patient, because no comment is posted until I've read and approved it. That can take anywhere from a minute to a day. I weed out bots, spammers, and trolls, not good people like you. Blogger will tell you if your comment is awaiting moderation. If your comment simply disappears into the ether with no comment, Blogger is misbehaving again.

12 comments:

LaVonne Neff said...

This is a test. I want to see what happens when I try to leave a comment. Yay! It worked! Now you try...

Lileonie said...

Eeeek! My life expectancy came out as far, far too long, lucky thing I can fix that here in Switzerland!

Carol said...

Isn't it weird to think about our age? I'm rolling up to 65 rapidly and the number just sounds weird. How did this happen? Am I not only 35 (and working at Lion) and strong and healthy? Hmmm....in my head...yes in my head. Happy birthday if I missed wishing it to you!

KT said...

Just wrote a long and heartfelt response, clicked on preview, and it has disappeared. :(

LaVonne Neff said...

This is another test. For some reason nothing would post this afternoon. I made one change. If this posts, it worked...

Christine said...

Nothing more profound than "To do, keep doing; to live, keep living (in the fullest sense)." Appreciate each deep breath and every sensation. I suppose that if your 60s were good, your 70s will also. Happy 70s!

annie turner said...

LaVonne, I sent these comments to you via email, but will try and post them here. As a cancer survivor, a woman almost 73, and a fanatic cook, here are a few suggestions, some serious some not: Give up Pole Dancing. Forget two-piece bathing suits and thong underwear. Don't even look at Pinterest "Makeup Tips for Older Women." Way too depressing. Cherish your peeps and your friends, they make life worth living. Try and stay in the present as much as possible. The future is scary and the past is way gone. As Julia Childs said, "Life is too short to drink bad red wine." Treat yourself. Get REALLY good red wine. Plan a trip to Italy. It is the best. Try and solidify your faith--if you have one. It is a firm and singing ground to stand on. Can somebody say Amen?

Christine said...

Just a note to add. I'm heading to senior summer camp today! And I'm sneaking in some of that good wine!

Unknown said...

Great post! I am 74 1/2, and 75 comes in early April. All I can say is cope with the health problems as they crop up, cherish your friends and institutions (my church and my senior community), and resist tyranny in any way you can.

Melpo DeFotis said...

LaVonne you are a spring chicken, I am 84 this year. Love Flossie Lewis (she is 91) character and personality don't have to change". Things may fall apart but your Attitude is a big factor. Forward ho. Mel DeFotis

Unknown said...

Miss you, my old friend and neighbor! I will be 80 in three months, and your source tells me I can expect another 8.9 years. Well, hope for the best. I have come to realize that--above all--exercise is a must (if I want to continue being able to climb on roofs and do odd jobs here in your old Assn), keep awake, and above all not lose my memory (which of course fades as we age). Take care and I would suggest ignoring all the bad media that we get from every source; in other words, stay positive!

LaVonne Neff said...

Mel, I had to Google Flossie Lewis - she's wonderful! Here's the link: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/brief/179900/flossie-lewis

We're both spring chickens, by the way. It just isn't spring anymore!