Now that I am sixty, I see why the idea of elder wisdom has passed from currency.--John Updike
Now that I am 60, I am going to prove just how right Updike was. Here is my list of top 10 reasons to feel good about turning 60. Do send more as they occur to you. I hope to be in my 60s for quite some time and may need moral support.
10. Turning 60 reminds me to give thanks for my long-term husband and fine old friends, most of whom are far more experienced in aging than I am.
9. My birthday party included my grandchildren, daughters, sons-in-law, husband, and parents-in-law, who came from AZ, TX, IL, MD, and NY.
8. 60 is 16 Celsius (said George Carlin). Sweet Sixteen, the sequel!
7. Post-menopausal zest (Margaret Mead's term) really exists.
6. How can 60 be bad when the 60s were so much fun?
5. I can go to first-run movies on Tuesdays for only $5.
4. Offspring in their 30s are lots of fun.
3. I'm in no danger of dying young.
2. I can't have a midlife crisis.
And the winner is ...
1. Sexagenarian sounds so promising!