Saturday, June 27, 2015

CSA week 3: 8 vegetables, easier prep, mostly tasty meals

This is what came in
my CSA basket Wednesday.
This is what it looked like.


This is what I did - or am going to do - with it.

  • The green leaf lettuce went into two hamburger buns, two side salads, and two dinner salads.
  • The radishes went in a baggie, with salt, to my neighborhood playground. My daughter ate them as we watched her children play.
  • The broccoli is in my refrigerator's vegetable drawer. There's a good chance we'll eat it tonight, with salmon.
  • The beets, wrapped in aluminum foil, went into the oven at 400 degrees for an hour. After spending a day in the refrigerator, they joined the green leaf lettuce, a couple of oranges, some goat cheese, and a few slices of red onion in a dinner salad.
  • The beet greens are likely to show up under tonight's salmon, after I've chopped them and wilted them in olive oil.
  • The kale stared at me defiantly until I repeated the process I described last week. We always have potlucks to go to. And actually, the kale bread is so good that I'm making a little extra so we'll have some at home too.
  • The romaine is in the vegetable drawer waiting for an avocado to ripen. It will soon join a black bean / cheese / bell pepper / chopped tomato / sliced avocado salad.
  • The arugula threatened to get even more bitter if I didn't use it immediately. I found a salad recipe in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, a book you should own if you frequent farmers' markets or subscribe to a CSA, and made the salad the day the kale arrived. If you're desperate to use up some arugula, you don't have to wait to buy the book: the recipe is here.
  • The zucchini is with the romaine and the broccoli in the vegetable crisper. I'm planning to dice it, sauté it lightly, and toss it in pasta, probably rotini, with diced roma tomatoes and last week's garlic scape pesto.
Whew. I think it will all be used up by next Wednesday, when the next CSA portion arrives.

No comments: